View Single Post
Unread 05-01-2022, 02:02 PM   #28
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,572 Times in 3,414 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Carr View Post
It took about two years working with AZ Game and Fish commission and a sign off by the Governor to allow the use of shotguns larger than the 10 gauge to be used for harvesting Game in AZ.
The ruling of course does not change the Federal restrictions on Migratory birds.
I have shot pigeons, and Eurasian dove as well as a coyote in AZ.
I Have shot Several Merriam's turkeys in New Mexico as well as an Osceola turkey in Florida using one of my 8 gauges.
I just can not seem to draw a Goulds turkey tag in AZ which was my primary goal when I set out to get approval for its use.
Maybe next year.
I currently own just one 8 gauge, a WC Scott. I had thoughts of taking an elk but I may have set that goal a little to late in life. Packing an 8 gauge around at 6 or 7000 feet can flat wear you out.
I do love the looks of those paper shells.
I worked up punkin ball and slug loads in the hammer 8 I got from you . I got what I thought was “good enough” accuracy at 30 yards for deer . I would “think” for an elk you “might” be able to add ten yards to the equation . However having owned several W&C Scott’s , all the ones I had were stamped on the underside of each barrel “not for ball” . The 12 and 20 Scott’s I had no intention of shooting a ball or slug , however in the 10 I wanted to but never did . The inside muzzle diameter of my Scott 10 and a Parker 10 are usually 15-20 thousandths difference with the Scott being smaller .