View Single Post
Unread 07-23-2022, 08:51 AM   #8
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,798 Times in 1,368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hillis View Post
I tried the drinking straw spreader loads. I didn't like the results at all, and abandoned that method. Couldn't get the spread I needed with them.

I'm a big proponent of the X-post inserts. They give me the spread I want and are reliable from pattern to pattern. I became a believer in them when I gave the Fiocchi Interceptor one ounce spreader loads a try in my modified choked Perazzi, for sporting clays. I despise changing choke tubes and shoot a fixed choke MX8 with two .020" chokes. The X-post Interceptors are only used on very close and very unpredictable targets, like close, fast rabbits.

My testing of X-post spreaders has given me much confidence in them.
I have used the x-post inserts and found the Spred-R inserts were easier to load. The results of an .70 nitro card on top appear to be doing a decent job of opening up a full choke. The tested range was 40 yards and that's not a target I would choose for a spreader load. I expect the .070 nitro card load will do much better at 25-30 yards over a full choke. I like the ease of how it loads and if you have a less than ideal crimp no shot is going to leak out. I thought perhaps some folks might be surprised how a simple over the shot card can affect the pattern so drastically.