View Single Post
Unread 12-27-2021, 10:49 PM   #4
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
Hey, Craig, Brunswick stew is on my day-off-from-quail-hunting list for this year before the squirrel season ends, and I may use your recipe. BTW, Williamsburg is my home town...and, for those of our colleagues from Georgia (this will get a rise, no doubt), Brunswick stew is a Virginia original, not from Georgia. But, hey, if you grew up in Virginia, you learned all of this in school.
Many many churches fire departments etc in Virginia make their own versions of Brunswick Stew and use them to raise money . I’ve never had one that was bad but I’ve also never had it made with tree rats . Intresting to know you grew up in Williamsburg ! My mom loved the beach and my pop would get sun sickness at the beach after a day or two . My pop was also a big historian which may explain my taste in furniture art etc . Anyway when they took a weeks vacation we’d usually do four days at Colonial Williamsburg and three days at Virginia Beach . Everyone was happy and my pop usually came out in flying colors . Funny story one year we were there and I think we were at Kings Tavern having lunch think I was in the 8-11 range . Anyway I ordered Orange sherbet and iced coffee . The waiter looked at my mother and said bring it with half a glass of milk and of course there was sugar on the table . The waiter stood and watched while I mixed it the way my maternal grandmother did it was about 50-50 coffee and milk with a spoonful of sugar . After that strangely enough they never questioned it again .