View Single Post
Denizens of dark and dreary skies
Unread 01-22-2023, 09:12 AM   #1
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,898 Times in 1,112 Posts

Default Denizens of dark and dreary skies

There is no wing shooting that draws me like doves. I have enjoyed many other types of bird hunting but these great speedsters haunt my dreams like no other. Late season doves are a special breed ......... wary, fast, tough and capable of changing direction at speed in ways that will leave the most adept gunner scratching his head. I have often tipped my hat when I missed one due to an aerobatic "shuck and jive". Yesterday afternoon was a typical late season day in the peanut field ....... cold, windy and drizzly. But they came, as the elements that try men seem to give them impetus and "drive".

I used Susie, the LC Smith 16 ga. FWE Field Grade. It's 32" barrels are choked .025" and .026". It is an ejector gun (obviously), and it has a HOT: a most unusual set of options for a Field Grade gun. But it is ultimately suited for late season doves. I used Fiocchi Dove Loads, 1 oz. at 1165 fps mostly, but employed a couple of ancient Western Xpert vintage papers for fun. Missed with one of them, but connected squarely with the other and a big old mature dove became tablefare with a shell that is likely as old as me. Not a limit, but a hard earned "mess" of ten. Fifteen would have been no more satisfying.

Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post: