View Single Post
Unread 12-15-2022, 10:57 PM   #16
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,064 Times in 407 Posts

The trigger guard should come off after removing the two screws you have taken out and by unscrewing it as you mentioned. I think that the implication of your question to the people that do this a lot is that it is not something you likely have a lot of experience with. I just happened to do this to a similar model three times this afternoon. If you do it a lot, you soon realize that the trigger guard (and the locks) fit very tight in the inletting on high quality guns of any brand. After they set a lot, they can seem like they are cemented in place and take quite a bit of effort to free. You can easily ruin the inletting around them with simple prying, pulling and twisting. Don't ever try to stick a metal tool in around the inletting to remove them. I usually have a couple of chopsticks or tounge depressors around to whittle and stick under tight pieces. Stick it under the piece away from the inletting and pry upward gently. The small y shaped area at the back of the trigger guard is a good place, with the protruding end padded by a piece of plastic or thin wood. The back of the trigger guard can be worked out of the inlet carefully. At that point unscrew the guard as you saw. What they don't show is that the guard bow will often drag on the bottom of the frame and hit the front trigger. You will learn by experience that you may have to manipulate the lifter and the trigger as you unscrew in order to clear these. Be careful, and you will get the guard off. The lockes fit even tighter, but are not hard to remove by the using the partially backed out screw to knock the opposite side off, then a slightly larger punch from the other side to tap the second lock off. Again be very careful and more so in reinstalling.

After that it gets to be a test of motor skills. There are some very small screws involved that are up in the action and will test the abilities of your fingers and your use of some really small screwdrivers.

The large screw mentioned above is actually screwed into the trigger plate, so doesn't have to be removed to take off the guard. If you take it out, be careful and, again, know what you are doing. Like all the action screws, it is big, tight and easy to bugger. If the screwdriver slips, you will have damaged an indexed, damaged screw and fixing it is not cheap.

None of this is complex, and the average person can understand the mechanism enough to take it apart and reassemble. The problem is that the average tinkerer and handyman doesn't have the motor skill set it takes to work on very small and closely fitted parts that often take a large amount of effort to move. And too, it takes more tools of a greater range of sizes than you would guess.

I have always been an advocate of learning and doing. However, you have to commit to putting in the investment to learn and to developing the skills needed.
Arthur Shaffer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arthur Shaffer For Your Post: