View Single Post
Unread 10-17-2022, 11:25 PM   #49
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,179 Times in 633 Posts

On more suggestion on this...load up some different shells with differences in powder, shot and wads and pattern it. Most fiber wads you buy are 1/2" think, I cut those in half but then put both halves in the shells. I get a much better pattern, The 1/2" wad as whole seems to push through the shot and the pattern is awful.

There is some trial and error to this that is a lot of fun to figure out. Here is the order I would load into a 10 gauge primed shell for target shooting:

1. 3 drams of 2f black powder(I also like 1 1/2f)
2. 1 - 9 gauge 1/8" nitro card
3. 2 - 1/4" 9 gauge fiber wads made from a cut 1/2" wad, use both halves and I lube with bore butter or some other type of black powder lube.(you used to be able to buy these already lubed and I use those if I still have them).
4. 1 - 9 gauge overshot card on the wads(I like the shot on a clean surface).
5. 1 1/8oz of shot
6. 1 - 9 gauge overshot card glue in with ducco cement.

The best resource I found for me was: https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ...BOOK-HL-10-BSS

There are some hot hunting loads in there(that work well), but you can load down for target shooting. It is such a valuable resource and I believe the author is a PGCA member.

Good luck! Every time I think about black powder shooting it makes me want to organize a hummer gun hunting trip...a few of us should get together and do this! Shooting the shells/loads our hammer guns would have shot when new.
Jay Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jay Oliver For Your Post: