View Single Post
10 Gauge Chamber Lengths:
Unread 08-02-2022, 11:51 AM   #1
Bruce P Bruner
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,940 Times in 360 Posts

Default 10 Gauge Chamber Lengths:

The sales listing on my recently acquired 1880 10 Gauge Lifter stated the chamber length of 2.5". I felt that 2.5" was possible but not probable. Lacking a chamber gauge, I cut a piece of thick glossy card stock the width of the chamber and tested for length. Although somewhat crude, repeated testing confirmed a chamber length of 2-5/8". A 10 Gauge chamber length of 2-5/8" would be more standardized than a 2-1/2", I would assume.
The factory letter should remove all doubt, providing the information is still legible.
Feeling confident the chambers are 2-5/8" I ordered some reproduction all brass cases from Track of the Wolf. The cases incidentally are head stamped Parker Bro's Meriden, Conn. 10 gauge "A" (thin wall).
What were the most popular chamber lengths for the Parker 10 Gauge in or around 1880? Pardon my ignorance, I never paid much attention to the 10 Gauge until recently, when I decided I needed one.
One more question, what is meant be the phrase "short ten", cut barrels or just short ones, 30" or less? Okay, short chamber.
Bruce P Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote