View Single Post
Unread 02-13-2023, 09:26 AM   #20
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,413 Times in 600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hillis View Post
I am totally unfamiliar with places where the state stocks quail for public hunting. It's hard for me to understand how it works, given the pressure from predators we have down here. They must release birds weekly, or on a regular basis, throughout the hunting season.(?) Predator control has to be ongoing here for released birds to survive in any reasonable number, especially for the first few weeks after release.

Does the state attempt to control the predators in those places, or just let 'em have what they want?
I imagine it is difficult for someone who owns a large amount of farm land in a rural area to understand the way things are done in the crowded, overbuilt northeast.
The state managed areas are stocked with the idea that those birds will be taken within a few days or hours time and they are put out 2-3 times per week and those days are known.
Alan avoids the mad morning rush by starting later after the crowd has left. I have not hunted any of these places in 30 years except afternoon. Some of my friends will not hunt on known stocking days and prefer to take fewer birds than put up with the mob.
I am jelous of those of you who hunt the south and mid-west and show photos of unlimited horizons and thousands of acres of available land. Personally i prefer Maine and it's grouse and woodcock and millions of acres of publicly available land.
Daniel Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Carter For Your Post: