Thread: Cataracts
View Single Post
Unread 12-10-2022, 03:43 PM   #4
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,852 Times in 2,025 Posts

All dogs, just like all people will develop cataracts. Rarely is surgery necessary on dogs, as though vision may be somewhat impaired, it is not like they are blind, and they dont have to drive. They all seem to navigate just fine.
I tell my patients that if they die before they have cataract surgery, they have died young, just a factor of getting older in both dogs and humans. As in everything, there are degrees of cataracts. I have cataracts, am 69 yrs old, and can still read a 20/20 line on the eye chart, night glare bothers me more however.
Nuclear sclerosis equal cataracts. I have hunted my dogs until they were 15, and hearing loss and other factors bothered them more than cataracts. Cataract surgery would have to be done by a vet ophthalmologist--few and far between.
I am an optometrist, and work for a cataract surgeon, cataract surgery follow ups are all I do now.
As long as your dog is still hunting as hard as you say, I wouldnt worry about it.