View Single Post
Unread 03-18-2014, 10:44 PM   #24
DMason
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks for some of the clarifications. Yes, I had forgotten that the cocking bar and sears are screwed with the same pin.

No doubt I will be calling on your expertise again. I am also still short one firing pin screw. The missing one has been replaced by a very short 6-40 set screw until a proper one is found or I break down and make make one myself.

Yes, this project is very exciting! I do not usually disturb the original finish on a gun, but this old Lewis just was asking to be brought back to new. I love vintage American crafts and since (very sadly) Ithaca double guns have such a low ceiling on their value unless they are high grade models, it was all a go for a complete strip down.

I plan on rust bluing the barrels once the Houston summer heat and humidity arrive. I will be attempting a high polish finish so there will be many rounds of rusting followed by lots of carding with fine grade wheels. I am looking forward to the challenge. The receiver is still a question, I would love to re case harden it and get some beautiful coloring into it, but my fear of warping may have me just rust blue the receiver as well, we will see. I am looking for reasonable pricing on at least simple engraving (at least to get the basic original engraving sharp again, and maybe even some fancier work if I can find a reasonably priced engraver out there. Any leads from anyone reading this would be so greatly appreciated. Case hardening leads are also very welcome. I know of the famous (read, expensive) guys out there, but maybe there is a working man's case hardener and engraver out there...

Last edited by Dan Mason; 03-18-2014 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: Spelling and unfinished sentence
Dan Mason is offline   Reply With Quote