Fall Southern
Unread 09-28-2022, 07:25 PM   #23
Quigley97
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Fall Southern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hillis View Post
The Fall Southern used to be a combination event, much more like the Spring Southern, where many vendors/dealers would come. As the years went on Rick told me he was having more and more trouble convincing them to come for the weekend. The smaller attendance, as compared with the Spring Southern, along with the associated lower number of sales, dissuaded them until it ceased to be. One of the earlier years was when I was able to trade for Susie, my 32" barreled 16 ga. LCS. I will always remember that weekend.

Bill is absolutely right that it is a fine venue for shooting your double guns at great targets. Rick is a master at putting on a shoot and having everything run smoothly. Trap problems are almost nil. He is adamant about having his equipment in top notch condition, and...... making fine eating available.

Sure hope I can get back over there this year. I want to test my mettle against "Doc John" again.
Stan you are absolutely correct. When I started working the event 11 years ago it was just like the Spring Southern. Many of the vendors and competitors though complained that it was during bird hunting season. At that time Bill Kempfer and Rick Hemmingway decided to move the event to the third week of September. Everyone thought that was a great idea. Many complained about the heat in September as compared to October. Then the event was moved back to October. After that move many of the vendors did not return and never came back since no matter how hard Bill Kempfer and Rick Hemmingway tried. Like I said before Backwoods offers quail hunts and pheasant tower shoots and will do their best to accommodate the coustomer the best they can.
Tom Pellegrini is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tom Pellegrini For Your Post: