View Single Post
Unread 01-13-2023, 12:18 PM   #6
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,403 Times in 599 Posts

The decline has been going on slowly and steadily for the 38 years i have hunted them. I have spent 35 years hunting them in the same area in Maine. In the beginning my 2 sons and i would be close to a limit by 9 am. ( 5) and sometimes finish it while grouse hunting.
Today in an all day hunt it is rare to have any one of us get 3. A woodcock is a very accommodating bird, he will give you a second chance and maybe a third. Today we will not take the third and sometimes not the second.
When you consider that in Canada the season starts in September and they are legal along their migration route until at least the end of January or longer what other game bird has a 5 month open season. Yes migratory waterfowl do and how are they doing?

The last 2 years we have found more birds early season which has led us to believe they are resident birds in that they are all juveniles. The flight has been later and very thin if at all.

I am concerned to the point of reconsidering if i should take any at all but at 77 that decision is going to be made for me soon.
Daniel Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Carter For Your Post: