View Single Post
Unread 11-01-2020, 03:26 PM   #2
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hixie,
congratulations with your dogs progress. My brittany will mouth a bird, sometimes bring it part way back. Sometimes he just leaves it. The last 2 weeks or so I have been hunting with a friend who has a 2 year old female brittany. About 3 hunts ago, my brittany cash started picking up birds and bringing them right to me. On one point, cash had pointed a woodcock and lucy the female brittany was honoring. The woodcock flushed hard to my right, cash and lucy rushed to the bird, cash got there first and trotted around for a while. I called him over, he gave me the bird, I gave him a treat, and we sure had a nice moment. I called the breeder of my brittany and asked him why he suddenly started retrieving. My breeder said my dog cash got tired of lucy picking up his pointed birds. I will see how he does alone without lucy, but in the last couple weeks, he sure seems more eager to do more than mouth a bird. Good luck, I read a bunch of articles on retrieving, my best moments have been with cash out in the yard and I will toss a retrieving dummy and when he fetches it back to me we have a good moment together, sometimes a treat. I wish you the best, your dog is looking good.
Ed Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Norman For Your Post: