View Single Post
Unread 08-10-2022, 12:32 PM   #5
Rob White, not Bob White
Forum Associate

Member Info

John K, thanks for the information. It is highly likely that my familial information about the gun is mistaken. As you may know, stories handed down verbally are often subject to embellishment and exaggeration. The White family is particularly subject to these sorts of exaggerations.

John M., The plantation belonged to a Meade family. I believe it is now the location of a coal-fired power plant. The Meade plantation was named Cote Bas, just North of Charleston on the Cooper River. My grandfather was a representative with the Seaboard Coastline RR, and as such he knew many important people in and around SC. My father has reported that when they would duck hunt with Mr. Meade, instead of using a dog to retrieve the birds, Mr. Meade had his help retrieve and dress the game.

Additionally, there is a story about my grandfather White going to Georgetown, SC, for a business deal. Apparently, my grandfather's job was to encourage industries to locate on the RR, thus generating more RR business. Rumor has it that my grandfather struck a deal with his father-in-law to locate the paper mill at Georgetown. My father reports that when his father returned home from that trip, he had a briefcase full of enough money that he could pay off their house in Norfolk, Va. My mother has often said, while vacationing at Pawley's Island, that Pawleys stinks under a south breeze because of her father-in-law, Mr. Warren.

Mr. Meade must have been a very good friend because he gave my father his quail gun, a Remington Sportsman 48B in 16ga. I now have this gun but did not know its origin. When I asked my dad where he got it, he said Mr. Meade gave it to him! Nice guy huh?
Rob White is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rob White For Your Post: