View Single Post
Unread 10-27-2022, 09:02 AM   #19
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,596 Times in 3,087 Posts

Days of contrasting weather -- one with spitting snow and heavy cloud cover, the other with cloud filled, sunny skies. Both without much wind -- just the way we like it. We flushed broods again on both days, and, again, because of the way they flushed, we have no shots. We get some nice points by Aspen, and are able to take some birds on the follow-up. I've hunted here so much, and thought about the ways of Northwoods grouse so long, that sometimes I can predict if a bird might hold long enough for me to get to the point. To reassert Gary's point about overhead cover and skittishness, when we find some blowdowns where a grouse might "burrow" down and hold, we generally can get close enough to get a flush within range. I haven't, however, figured out how to not have a tree in the way of a shot, and many has suffered a load of 8s over the years.

We have found more woodcock this year than in the recent past. It is a bit wetter, and there are more coverts that are damp...and thick -- just the way the 'cock like it. Our flush rates on grouse remain good. Our shot chances remain poor.

Keys to photos:

1. This was a follow-up bird from a "brood flush" of 4 birds. Aspen trailed him for well over 50 yards, and he flushed far out. I wing-tipped him and Aspen continued the trail to run him down (thus the lack of tail feathers). For me, this is more satisfying that taking a limit of birds. It's not how many, it's how...at least for me at this point in my shooting life.

2. We visit coverts so often that we get to know some of the trees in them. This oak has appeared in many photos over the years, as it always puts on a display of rich color. There is almost always a grouse nearby, and such was the cast again this year. Alas, this bird was in a tree and flushed wild. Sometimes they play dirty.

3. One day I'll have the presence of mind to check my watch to see what my heart rate is when I get a point like this along an open road. The anticipation is almost overwhelming, as I'm sure those of you who hunt over pointing dogs know well.

4. I have a good (non-hunting) friend whose father was a hunter and had bird dogs. She always laughs when we show her photos like this. "It's like Papa's photos." She always says, "I have seen lots of dog butts in lots of old pictures!" I always smile and continue to cherish a good dog on point picture (a.k.a. A dog butt picture).

5. Driving over Caldwell Brook we had to stop and get a picture. It's scenes like this that fill out the day.

6. Mr. Leopold's "Red Lanterns" were not red when our visit began, but have lit up the trail in the last couple of days. They are at the best when the air is damp and the sky cloudy.

7. A brace of 'cock -- my self-imposed limit -- makes for a great day, especially when taken over points with a 118 year old Parker.

8. Sometimes nature will stop you to look. Late yesterday as we were heading back to the truck, the sun was like a spot light in the pine woods.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2390.jpg (626.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2394.jpg (593.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2419.jpg (626.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2423.jpg (562.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2417.jpg (508.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2425.jpg (438.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2409.jpg (547.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2431.jpg (527.6 KB, 0 views)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: