View Single Post
Unread 10-24-2022, 08:40 AM   #13
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,593 Times in 3,086 Posts

Well, we have completed week 1 of our hunt, and although not much to show in the way of game for the larder, we have had lots of bird contact and good, hard miles for our hearts.

This has been a remarkable year for the number of times we've gotten birds up without a chance for a shot...or at least a good one. As I noted, we have started coming up later in the season to avoid more hunters. That has certainly been the case, but I see a marked skittishness in the birds. Often, the dog will point, and before I can get up with the dog, the bird will flush far out ahead. We've also had lots of "brood points" where there are multiple birds at a point (6 birds from a point yesterday!). As grouse do, they flush when the want, and when you don't want. Frustrating, but all part of the hunt.

So, this past week our flush rate was 3.8 birds/hour. When you think that most of our hunting comes on trails that we must walk out and back (essentially hunting over ground just traveled), one could really double that flush rate. The birds are here this year, they're just not playing nice. Actually, except for not shooting well (44% on grouse, 25% on woodcock), this has been a great hunt.

Today will be an off day as dangerous winds and rain are in the forecast. A trip to town is in order.

Here are some photos from late in the week, including some that I hope reveal the nature of the Northwoods hunt, from its beauty to the exhilaration of walking in on a dog on point (assuming you can get to the dog!).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2330.jpg (637.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2331.jpg (620.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2357.jpg (609.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2362.jpg (611.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2324.jpg (525.1 KB, 1 views)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: