View Single Post
Unread 05-22-2022, 10:41 AM   #19
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,617 Times in 988 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Allen View Post
I ordered the SS marked guns when I worked for Jaegers. We placed an order for 350 guns. They all came through Jaegers which was a division of Dunns in Grand Junction,Tn at the time. They actually shipped 360 guns. We had them marked SS to differentiate our guns from standard production guns. We were so successful with the SS guns that Parker Repro came out with their own steel shot specials which are not SS marked. To my knowledge,all SS marked guns are less than 360 serial range.

Before others start believing that a standard production 12ga. Parker Reproduction DHE w/28" bbls., 3" chambers, factory choked IC/M get carried away thinking it's the same thing as a bonafide Steel Shot Special ought to consider a couple of important details that differentiate a Steel Shot Special from the standard production guns.

1. The Steel Shot Special has chrome lining through the choke area, the standard production guns do not.

2. The choke geometry is different in the Steel Shot Special. Reportedly the Steel Shot Special choke area is longer than the standard production guns.

* Another little detail I've observed is that a Steel Shot Special with the SS stamps as part of the serial number will, in nearly all cases, command a higher price on the secondary market than the standard production guns -- sometimes as much $2000 - $3000 more.

To my way of thinking a standard 12-ga. Repro DHE w/28" bbls., 3" chambers and choked IC/M is not a Steel Shot Special unless it also has "SS" factory stamps as part of the serial number. You're free to come up with a looser definition if you'd like, but that's mine.

"It's the itty-bitty details that make the big-big difference."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greg Baehman For Your Post: