Thread: SBT toplevers
View Single Post
Unread 01-02-2015, 06:22 PM   #10
Robt. Harris
PGCA Member

Member Info

Hi Fellas,

This is just a follow-up to say ‘Thank You’ to Brian Dudley for supplying the correct part to get my SBT gun up and running again. First picture here is the brainstorm fabrication that someone thought should function as a top lever release mechanism. It didn’t, as the top lever would almost never stay captured to the right when the gun was opened. Next to it is the correct Parker release mechanism. This, when dropped in without modification, worked just at it should.

With the help and encouragement of PGCA member Mike Franzen, I’m also attaching a few pictures of this ‘B’ grade that were supplied to me by the seller at time of purchase a few years back. They’ll give you an idea as to the condition of this c.1930 single trap. It is a 32” gun without apparent modification other than a buttstock that has been refinished from the wrist checkering back. You’ll notice a somewhat severe gouge on the right-side stock tenon just under the checkered side panel where no refinishing was attempted. A new Hawkins repro pad also replaced the original Hawkins somewhere around this same time, according to seller. The forearm retains its original finish with a few attending handling marks. Stock has a thickish comb, a LOP of 14-3/16”, and the ‘initials’ shield in the toe-line of the buttstock remains blank. The gun doesn’t appear to have been shot all that much judging from the standing breech, barrel interior, top lever position, etc. I’ll let the experts here weigh in on remaining case colors, if they feel a need, but they certainly appear original bone-charcoal as for what’s left of them.

The gun’s nominal bore diameter is .733” and gradually tapers to .694” over 5 inches, for .039” of choke. There is no discernible parallel section near the muzzle. It’s a swell gun to shoot and does better for me at the longer handicap yardages than at the 16…..no small wonder with that amount of choke. Am not posting this for either approval or disapproval, as I like the gun just as is, and it has a home here for whatever time I’m around. The leather case in a couple of the upcoming photos is the period Redhead Brand ‘Elliot-style’ 32” trunk case that Parker supplied with these guns as an option. Hope you enjoy the photos and ‘Thanks’ also to those who initially responded to this thread.

All Best,

Rob Harris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010604.jpg (479.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg SB1.jpg (54.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg SB2.jpg (39.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg SB4.jpg (52.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg SB18.jpg (40.5 KB, 6 views)
Robt. Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Robt. Harris For Your Post: