Could be an "optical illusion"
Unread 10-20-2011, 08:19 AM   #19
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Could be an "optical illusion"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Valeski View Post
I'm sure you have many opinions but perhaps analyzing a nearly new very late Smith (1948 I think) is not your strong suit.
I will keep my thoughts about your's and other's forum etiquette to myself. I usually do the research and compare similar examples of any given gun (especially taking into consideration the time frame of thier production) before voicing an opinion on a collector's forum.
The pin diameter is hard to tell from the photos due to the picture's angle and slight shadow. But I must say that the degree to which you can measure from a two dimensional photo taken on a slight angle is truly remarkable. .0000
- BUT- regarding the 1945 FW 12 Ideal I sold- I always test with A-zoom snap caps, and use the old Armorer's trick of covering the "primer" with a piece of masking tape- The gun passed of course, but I noted that the indentation from the right barrel firing pin was somewhat larger in apparent diameter than that produced by the left firing pin- so I removed (carefully) the lock plates and took out the firing pins- and "miked" them for all dims- sure enough- the tip was 0.00125" longer and the OD 0.00115 larger than its "twin" for the LH barrel side-

No big deal, but, as many other PGCA Members (and here I note you are a Forum member, not an annual member- I hope you will spend the $40 to 'up-grade" as the quarterly magazine is well worth that amount alone- and then you can offer double guns for sale to the memberhsip here at no cost- something I do NOT believe the LCSCA yet allows)--

You might also care to note that I DID NOT comment on the gent's asking price- I never do that- It is a free country and he can ask whatever amount he cares to, and if he sells it for his asking price with box and tags and paperwork, more power to him indeed. I was a bit "taken aback" about the rumored $11K that the MINT 12 Trojan, formerly the property of the now late Ed Muderlak, sold for. Granted, Ed was an Icon to the PGCA and his books and writing abilities are/were surpassed by few (maybe Gough Thomas or Geoffrey Boothroyd) but I digress-Ed was not the deceased: Czar of Russia, or a Roosevelt who had his image graven on Mt. Rushmore- that kind of money for a economy graded Parker- blows my mind- I can only wonder what it might have fetched had it been a 20 bore--
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote