View Single Post
Unread 11-01-2022, 02:56 PM   #9
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,471 Times in 3,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Well my grouse season in VT ended rather ingloriously Sunday afternoon.

I had to keep Gracie in camp except for a short hunt on Sunday morning. She got a cut pad the weekend before and she's been on light duty since either in the house or in camp. Plus the fact that there's a new 1 year old pup who chews on Gracie's neck relentlessly when they're together so I only let her out of camp when that pup's not around. Not much I can do about it without compromising friendships up there so I just keep them apart.

And to make matters worse, the lack of birds is really in the forefront this year.
The woodcock outnumbered the grouse about 2:1 meaning a good day on woodcock was about 6 or 8 woodcock flushed leaving about 3 or 4 grouse flushed.
All in all - and I would normally be ashamed to admit this - I killed one nice big cock grouse and two woodcock,

Hey - There's always next year, right?

Deer season with rifles begins in VT on Nov. 12 and I have "sweetheart" obligations beginning this Friday so I'll be tied up () until deer season.

Dean, sorry about Grace's issues. It's a bummer when your hunting buddy can't go full steam. I absolutely don't think there's anything to ever be ashamed of in taking grouse or woodcock with style (a.k.a. great gun and dog included!). The "going" is what is important in the end.

As for the deer season, just think...you won't have to drag one out(!)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: