View Single Post
Unread 04-03-2022, 05:49 PM   #5
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,601 Times in 3,090 Posts

Like Dean said, you may be surprised at what kinds of patterns your gun might throw. I've found that if you shoot slower speeds, (generally) the patterns tighten.

I bought a Parker as part of a lot of two guns a while back. I really wanted the "other" gun, but the second gun seemed okay. When I measured the barrels, it confirmed that the left barrel had been honed (it was Damascus), but to produce a tighter choke (full). It had been "jug choked." The constriction is near .040" The thin points are too thin for me to chance, even though the thin points are pretty close to the muzzle. My point here is that jug choking can put a choke back, but you do lose wall thickness. I've often wondered if whoever did the choking on the gun had tried for less choke, it would have been okay to shoot. I also don't know how much of the honing was to tighten the choke or get rid of pits.

What kind of wall thickness do your have in your barrels? Just curious.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: