View Single Post
New Member (old shooter)
Unread 04-29-2023, 07:30 PM   #1
Kirk Gibson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default New Member (old shooter)

Hi,
I have had two Parkers for over 60 years and have finally decided to learn more about them.
Serial Nr. 130380, a 1905 Grade 2 Vulcan which was my grandfather's, then my father's, then handed down to me when I was about 12. I used it a lot for many years, mostly for duck hunting. Not knowing any better, I used "high brass" shells which resulted in a little looseness in the face, about just enough to slip a piece of copier paper in. I have recently returned to SxS clay bird shooting. Is it OK to use this gun with "low brass" target shells? Can I shim the hook a bit?

I'm also curious about the meaning of some of the markings on the bottom of the barrels. There is WF in an oval and a Kf stamped in. Are those from Parker or perhaps gunsmiths' IDs? There are also a couple of small crosses stamped on either side of the grade 2 stamp.

And finally, the forend has the gun's serial number but is clearly marked on the lever mechanism "Pat'd March 26, 1878." That's way before the gun was produced. Seems strange.

My other Parker is the new one, Serial number 196846, a late 1921 Trojan 2. I got it in trade when I was 15 for three Model A Ford wheels. It's in great shape and has seen a lot of use but id still tight-faced. But like the other, has
several markings on the barrel such as WF with a small x below it and 12 stamped close to the grade 2 stamp. Gunsmith marks?

Sorry for the wordiness but would love to hear your collective opinions.
Kirk Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote