View Single Post
Unread 01-27-2023, 03:08 PM   #5
Jim Collison
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks guys.

Matt, I will probably do that.

Harold, it has 30" barrels and my intended use for this gun was to shoot clays; specifically skeet as I already have an abundance of guns for trap and sporting clays. To be fair, I have a couple of skeet guns already but was looking for a quality, vintage SxS.

This gun was represented as being choked IC/IC but I've now measured the muzzle ends at .715 (L) and .710 (R) so they are clearly tighter than IC. Additionally, it struck me as especially curious that the left barrel was more open. Upon closer inspection, there is evidence that the muzzle end of the right barrel has received "attention" at some point. There is a tiny "wrinkle" (for lack of a better descriptor) in the mirror finish of the bore very near the end and an almost imperceptible taper can be seen in the last 1/4" of that barrel at the tip. I'm inclined to believe it may have fallen against something, denting the very tip of the barrel, and was opened back up, but not fully.

I'm going to have the gun inspected by a smith, who will also measure the chambers, bores, and chokes. I'll then pattern it as obviously that's what really matters.

If I like the fit and feel of the gun, I may ultimately have the chokes opened up to skeet. If the gun were original, I might consider that to be sacrilegious but given the replacement stock, it's probably best to have it optimized for intended use.

Your thoughts or comments are welcome.
Jim Collison is offline   Reply With Quote