Thread: 24 Gauge???
View Single Post
Unread 07-06-2009, 08:05 AM   #4
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,909 Times in 4,773 Posts

An early owner of the U.S. Cartridge Company 24 gauge VH, my fellow gun club member, Bob Hess, had a wooden case of 24 gauge Remingtons with the gun. After Bob's death, a friend handled the sale of his guns and sold the 24 gauge pretty quickly. The case of shells was not sold. The fellow would only agree to sell me the shells if I could figure out a way to repurchase the gun. I didn't think that was going to work out, so I lost track of the case of shells. I will know them if I ever see them. They were late production shells custom made for Hess by Remington. Bob was some kind of local distributor for Remington ammunition, or claimed to be. Maybe one of our Remington gurus like Art Wheaton or Ken Waite knows more about him. I bought Bob's 20 gauge VHE Skeet in its Abercrombie and Fitch case, but missed a fully optioned cased VHE 28 gauge with field chokes that was sold while I fiddled. A also bought a wonderful early postwar Browning Superposed that is now in the collection of someone we know.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote