View Single Post
Unread 09-09-2022, 12:47 AM   #7
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,075 Times in 411 Posts

Since I live in KY, I did a little looking on Google. I found that Maysville(on the Ohio River), not far from Cincinnati, has a Court St. G S Judd owned an insurance and collection agency during that time period. There was also a listing for him in a German business listing at the same time as having a machine factory and steam engine business in Maysville. Owens & Barkley (Frank Owens and Henry C. Barkley) Opened a General Store (listed as a Cash Only store) late in the Civil War. They later were listed as a well known shoe sales and service outlet.

Given the business holdings of Judd, and the fact that O&B (their original name) was a well established general merchandise seller, the story rings completely true. The cornpone dialect was a common affectation of the time.

Given the fact that Cincinnati, Louisville, Paris KY, and Lexington were hot beds of trapshooting from the 1870's thru the 1930's, it would not be surprising that Judd may have been familiar with the better shooters of the day, and that could well have included Parker representatives such as duBray. He lived in the right location at the right time and had the right resources to be involved.
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Arthur Shaffer For Your Post: