View Single Post
Unread 12-05-2009, 11:50 PM   #26
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,168 Posts

Clear skies this morning and no wind, so the cranes were flying in the stratosphere. We watched the first few groups cross and never even bothered setting the decoys. It was 24 degrees at daylight, I didn't think it got quite that cold here.

Took off to another area and made a few stands for coyote. Phil is quite the predator caller and kills a ton every year. I was hoping to get a shot with my 10 gauge but was in the wrong place at the wrong time. We had one come right in but we were on separate sides of a mesquite thicket and it came to Phil's side. He had a snap shot with his Winchester 25-20 lever action but missed I'm sorry to say.

After that we headed off to Tombstone for a bite of lunch and so I could say I'd been in the famous town. Quite the tourist trap these days but the waitress at the Crystal Palace Saloon was a voluptuous beauty, and they even had Pabst Blue Ribbon on draft. I was in love for about as long as it took to eat a buffalo burger and slake my thirst.

While in Tombstone we discovered that I'd left the tail gate down and my $100 Muck Boot Company swampers and Phil's dove bucket had fallen out on the rough roads. So we headed back the way we'd come, stopping for a try at some Gamble's Quail around a high ridge but had no luck. But we got got lucky, found everything we'd lost after a turn around the ranch roads and had a good laugh about it.

We still had some daylight left so Phil suggested we try a valley he knew nearby that held some Mearn's Quail. Unfortunately our bad luck (as far as quail went) continued to hold and we never saw a feather though the dogs worked hard trying.

Tonight it was a big Mexican dinner at a local spot and a few drinks. I'm a trifle sore and stiff, have a few cactus thorns stuck in various spots, and a knee and shin are a bit banged up from a tumble I took down a ridge. I feel great, I'm coming back next year if they'll have me!

I want to extend a public thanks to Phil and his lovely wife for putting up with me for half a week. I really had a great time and am ready to try it again as soon as possible. I'm praying for more rain this spring and summer so the quail population peaks up a bit.

Headed home tomorrow in the AM, off to bed.......

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote