View Single Post
Unread 08-31-2022, 03:46 PM   #5
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,596 Times in 3,087 Posts

We scouted another WMA today on a very pleasant (54 degrees) morning. Found a couple hens with brood(s). I'll look them up come the Fall opener on Oct. 1. Not too many dove at this WMA, but we were a little late getting there.

After Stan's post, I looked to document some of the various sunflowers we normally see here on the edge of the prairie. Compass plant (if you know Aldo Leopold's A Sand County Almanac, then you are familiar with this regal member of the sunflower family) blooms in mid-Summer and is pretty much gone to seed by this time of year. It's cousin, the Cup Flower is almost past its prime also (first photo). Tickseed Sunflower (photo 2) is just now coming on, and come Mid-Sept., on an overcast day, it will dazzle you with its rich color and colonizing growth habit. We also find Jerusalem Artichokes (photo 3), a tall sentinel that is often found in good quail and pheasant cover come December. Some folks swear by the nut-flavored root that gives the plant its name. We've tried growing them without success. I can take or leave the roots as table fare.

So much going on this time of year. The dove hunting sometimes gets lost in the season, but come tomorrow morning -- our opener at sunrise -- all eyes are to the sky, and the guns will sound again for the beginning of another season of hunting -- hallelujah!

Again, good shooting and good luck to all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1966.jpg (580.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1983.jpg (586.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1985.jpg (575.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1977.jpg (533.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1970.jpg (589.5 KB, 2 views)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: