View Single Post
Saving Orphans
Unread 06-11-2022, 03:28 PM   #1
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,075 Times in 411 Posts

Default Saving Orphans

A few months ago, I bought a 2nd year AH Fox A Grade from LS&B. It had been refinished sometime in the past and the condition appeared excellent. It had been restocked with a really nice piece of American Walnut and had perfect bores. Tight as a drum. The problem? Ugliest stock design I had seen in a long time.

It was never going to be original, but I ended up buying it at a clunker gunsmith special price. It had fore end iron for a beaver tail, but the one they designed was aobut 2" too long and felt like a 2x4. It extended up past the middle of the barrels. The buttstock had what can only be described as a pronounced nose, and a pistol grip that extended about 1/2" to far past the toe line. It was capped with a plastic cap with a large fake mother of pearl inlay. It was all finished off with a blond spray on poly finish.

I recut the cheek line to remove the nose, lopped off the pistol grip extension, shortened the fore end 1-1/2", lowered the fore end line on the barrels and narrowed it about 3/4". With a lot of careful rasping and sanding, I reshaped it within the wood I had left. I think it looks better and will now be serviceable. Once checkered, I think it will be a pleasing gun for someone to use.

Sometimes you need to look past what is there to what it might be. I certainly wouldn't have spent any more money on this, but I think it turned it into an acceptable piece and saved a fine old shotgun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A1-2.jpg (76.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg A1-3.jpg (141.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20220611_140933.jpg (360.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20220611_140950.jpg (488.1 KB, 6 views)
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Arthur Shaffer For Your Post: