View Single Post
Unread 01-25-2023, 05:28 PM   #16
Chris Pope
PGCA Member

Member Info

Harold, Stories like yours and the others mentioned on this thread scare the heck out of me. A number of years ago one of our Griffs developed epilepsy and would occasionally have grand mal seizures with little to no warning. I was always concerned it would happen while in the uplands, and confused, he might take off in the wrong direction. A good friend told me that a satellite collar is like insurance and he was right. They're not perfect but I use the Garmin Astro 430 with the big collar (in the photo) and also use a Dogtra training collar with a beeper that I only use manually if I'm trying to locate the dog on point. Many folks think I over do it by strapping on all that hardware to the dog. But it gives me a piece of mind. I exercise and train the dog(s) at least 5 days a week in the off season and they never leave the house or work off leash with out them. When the collars go on they know it's "fun" time! And the equipment is beat up but stll works like a charm.
These are just my thoughts and I absolutely respect those who prefer no electronics and rely on eyesight or a bell.
BTW- Been hunting SD the last 16 years. We go in November and the weather this year was the most hellacious we've encountered. Lathered the dogs with mushers wax every day. My wife calls and asks how much snow we had on any given day. How the heck do I know! Snow doesn't "fall" in SD, it blows sideways. The corn field could be bare in spots and then a 12 foot drift in the ditch next to the road that you can't get through...still love it tho...
So pleased your pup was located.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Arcas 2022 w Collars.jpg (520.6 KB, 5 views)
Chris Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Pope For Your Post: