View Single Post
Unread 01-25-2023, 09:50 AM   #14
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,829 Times in 2,017 Posts

Yes, I wiil have a GPS collar by next season, and thanks for the recommendation of the Garmin. What model is it? I currently use a Dogtra T&B 2 dog unit and like it. My dogs are not horizon busters--I mostly hunt grouse--they go 100-150 yds, but will stretch out in open areas. I use the locator function and vibration recall buttons. I dont even know how to turn the beeper function on , and never use the "shock" buttons. I never felt the need for a GPS before, but it would give great piece of mind.
I have a theory as to what happened to Doodle. We were hunting a big cattail slough, and the lake was frozen solid. The snow was laying heavy over mounds of cattails, creating virtual snow caves and tunnels that the birds could run and hold underneath. The dogs, and us, were having difficulty crashing through. I think Doodle got trapped down underneath these mounds and I couldnt hear the beeper. We were there for hours looking, so I really dont know. I am going to do a little on line research today, and probably call Collar Clinic for their recommendations. Got a bunch of guns that I havent shot in years, so may sell to fund the project.