View Single Post
Unread 04-20-2020, 10:21 AM   #28
Garth Gustafson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,352 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
The recently sold Annie Oakley connected Model 11 Remington with protruding gold sights, pictured in a recent Doublegunshop.com thread have helped immensely with the Annie Oakley provenance on the Gold Hearts gun. I have no plans to promote this provenance in an article, because I have not found a picture with Annie holding or shooting the gun. As Annie Oakley students know, pictures of Annie with identifiable guns are very scarce, especially shotgun pictures. Her available pictures are very few and have been copied and sold extensively and it seems nothing much new has surfaced in the last few years. The Gold Hearts gun was built at the end of Annie's public life, the month after her famous train accident, and it is doubtful that it was used in any of her shows. It was possibly used in the 1902 Grand American Handicap where she is known to have shot a 30" Parker of identical or near identical weight of the Gold Hearts gun. Unfortunately, pictures of Annie at competitive shoots in this period are about non-existent.

Thanks Bill. I found this article about the Buffalo Bill Wild West Show train wreck in which Annie was hurt.

https://www.ourstate.com/buffalo-bill-wild-west-show/
Garth Gustafson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Garth Gustafson For Your Post: