View Single Post
Unread 05-05-2022, 11:30 AM   #6
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,601 Times in 3,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton C Starr View Post
Well the area I hunted squirrels didnt really have any vegetation or shrubby on the ground so anytime I would hit one they would be easy to find, their white belly against the leaves anyhow. Now the places around here with pines or like our deer property I could see where you would want a dog. The squirrel land was about 20-30 acres of mixed woods mostly oaks and ground was always heavily compacted leaves. Sadly the owner decided to bulldoze all of it and turn it into wood chips then planted pines, which a year later all got blew into the next county by a cat 5 hurricane

I used to work with the hunting dogs at the kennel we had for the plantation I could tell some funny stories about them.
Milton, when I was a kid, we had a squirrel dog (Brownie) that was a real treat to hunt over. She would scent squirrels to the side of the tree where they climbed up and then scan the tree tops for them. She could "trail" them by sight through the tree tops, all the time barking so that we could find her. Eventually the squirrel would stop in the top of a tree or go to a den. It's a wonderful way to hunt squirrels, especially for a kid -- lots of action. Back a few years ago grouse hunting in Kentucky during the late February season, I would run into squirrel hunters with mountain curs that knew how to hunt. There are still pockets of guys who breed and train squirrel dogs, but they are few and far between.

If you ever get to go with a good squirrel dog, do it(!)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote