View Single Post
A Christmas Gift
Unread 12-22-2022, 09:53 AM   #1
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,596 Times in 3,087 Posts

Default A Christmas Gift

We got out for an afternoon hunt yesterday, hoping to find a covey or two before the big storm (which is howling as I type this), and hopefully giving the birds enough time to re-covey for warmth before the bottom falls out on the temperatures.

With the weather putting our traditional Christmas Eve and Christmas Day hunts in jeopardy, I thought the solstice would be the right time to blood my "Christmas" present from Elaine, an AHE 12 gauge. Although we acquired the gun back in April, it had been waiting in the safe for the right time -- and yesterday was its day.

Aspen was ranging a bit too far for me when I heard his beeper stop in a fence line separating a CRP field from one with harvested beans. By the time I got to his point, the birds had moved on. Aspen relocated several times, and I finally caught up with him. Elaine was trailing behind, but I saw my chance in a spot where the fence line brush was slightly thinner...so I flushed the birds, a very nice covey. The 1924 Parker did its job on the first shot fired, dropping two birds with one shot. We ended the day with three birds taken with two shots. I know to quit when I'm ahead.

A new Parker and a hunt near home is a Christmas blessing indeed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3130.jpg (496.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3135.jpg (515.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3119.jpg (576.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3140.jpg (491.0 KB, 31 views)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: