View Single Post
Unread 10-15-2009, 10:35 AM   #17
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,874 Times in 4,756 Posts

I've been shooting my 28" modified and full VH for 50 years this hunting season. I've never used anything but 3/4 ounce loads, but the chokes make up for lack of shot. I've never felt undergunned. However, when I used to shoot Southern Maryland quail as a teenager, I know I missed many close birds because of the tight chokes. My only experience with my new 26" cylinder and full straight grip VH was last year on off season field trial leftovers. We had some nice close pointed birds in the bag, when I took a desperation left barrel shot on a bird that had not been shot at. She was curving around a little stand of trees about 40+ yards out and I fired as she disappeared. Just on a whim, we walked toward the point at which I last saw the bird. I was a bit proud when one of the dogs came up with the dead bird right where I knew she would be. It's nice to have a hunting partner to witness a shot like that. I haven't patterned my old gun since I was in high school, but I patterned the new gun shortly after I got it home. The .020 left barrel just tears the middle out of the paper at any reasonable bird shooting distance. I think a full choked 28 is fine for pheasants up to almost 40 yards if the shooter knows what he is doing.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote