View Single Post
Unread 10-15-2009, 05:10 AM   #4
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,393 Posts

Destry is spot on with his recommendations. I started shooting Bismuth loads through a Parker in 94/95 and all I could find at that time was 1 3/8 oz in 2 3/4" 12ga. They worked fine and never hurt my gun. However, I would have preferred a little bit lighter load. Around 2000 I started reloading loose Bismuth when it became available. Reloading put me in control relative to shot weight, velocity and pressure and it cut the cost of shooting Bismuth significantly over factory loaded shells but it still ain't cheap.

One question no one as asked, what shape is your gun in, what is the condition of the bores? What frame size and weight of gun are we talking about? These factors would determine how heavy and how "hot" a load I would put through it.

Destry didn't mention ITX shot from Precision Reloading. Most likely because I don't think it's available in factory loaded shells. It is supposed to be classic shotgun friendly but I have read it is still pretty hard. I have got a lot of old loose Bismuth on the shelf, when it runs out I will most likely buy more and perhaps some nice shot.

Waterfowling with a Parker is great fun and very satisfying. I think Destry can attest that shooting a Parker for duck and goose hunting will make you a member of a very small fraternity. Be careful and have fun, it's a blast!
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote