View Single Post
Unread 01-07-2022, 07:07 AM   #30
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,601 Times in 3,090 Posts

I've been skinning squirrels by the "de-pantsing" method since I was Pop's squirrel holder at age 6. Pop was methodical, but fast, and had great disdain for any hair that might stick to the skinned squirrel.

I always used #4 shot and a .410 for squirrels, but Pop liked his J. C. Higgins (the Ted Williams model) auto .22. He liked short hollow points, and only would shoot if he could get a head shot. As his "squirrel dog," my job was to create movement on the other side of the tree so the squirrel would present him a shot. He always mounted a high powered rifle scope on his .22 rifle. I was always mystified, as a 6-year old often is, by Pop's ability to see squirrels hiding in the tops of trees, and marveled when, finally, the small sound of the shot came and the squirrel fell from the top of the tree. I still love the sound of the short .22.

If our bird hunting ever dries up completely, I'll turn back to squirrels. We have lots of them here in Missouri, and the season runs from the end of May to the middle of February...and I've never seen another squirrel hunter here in North Missouri.

Elaine has agreed to make real (a.k.a. Virginia) Brunswick Stew for us this winter after the bird season is over. I will leave out the disgusting butter (lima) beans, however.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote