View Single Post
Unread 05-29-2023, 12:33 PM   #15
Alfred Houde
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

There are a few shotguns in the collection of the National Museum of the Marine Corps with the Ordnance Bomb and Inspector initials. Some are actual "riot guns" while some were purchased for recreational use. If I recall, there were 2-3 different Remington Model 11's in 12 gauge so marked and the artifact records mentioned that they came to the museum from the base trap and skeet range. I also remember seeing both plain, and checkered stocks on them. There is also an L.C. Smith Single-Barrel Trap Gun with USMC recreational services markings stamped onto the barrel. There may be a Model 31, I don't remember.

Roy Marcot wrote in his book that the U.S. Military bought a number of Model 31's for Aerial Gunnery training during WWII. I have no supporting evidence to back it up, but my guess is as follows:

1. Because of the war, Remington provided the contract with the guns/stocks/forearms/barrels that they had on hand. This may explain why some are IC and some are Skeet choked, and some have plain or checkered wood.

2. After the war many of these guns were turned over to bases and ships for recreational shooting purposes.

3. Many firearms were re-built at military arsenals, which may explain the differences in barrels and wood, or barrels/frame or receiver not matching up.

4. Like many military firearms, they get cobbled/assembled up to meet a certain criteria, and some sellers take advantage of this due to people paying crazy prices for U.S. Military firearms.

It could be any of these. Just an opinion.
Alfred Houde is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alfred Houde For Your Post: