Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,190 Times in 12,368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Wasylyna View Post
Dean:

The only reflection I made was on the Cotes' unwillingness to go digital. I wrote nothing about their dedication or quality of work, which were top shelf.

I subscribed to DGJ for many years, but last year I decided not to renew for lack of a digital option. I want the content in a format that is convenient for me, not the physical medium (as pretty as that physical medium was).

No doubt many folks around here insist on (even hoard) physical journals. But trust me, such folks are the outliers, not me. The digital age is here, it has been here for some time, and that is not going to change any time in the foreseeable future.

In an "adapt or die" world, the Cotes' chose to scuttle the ship rather than go digital. I think that is a shame.

-Victor

Victor, our opinions of what the Cotes did, or didn't do, differ greatly.

I don't believe they chose to "scuttle the ship" because they knew full well that going digital (and they would not have thrown the baby {their long-time subscribers who want the paper magazine who enjoy and collect, not hoard, the DGJ} to the wolves) would simply have added another expense to their costs of publication. They held out, even in our failing economy, in the hope that the economy would turn around or al least come part way back... and it unfortunately hasn't. I commend them for being true to their subscribers, whom I do not believe are "outliers" but are in fact their bread and butter.

This "outlier" will always prefer the printed page rather than the impersonal flat screen of an electronic device. In fact, if DGJ had gone digital I most likely would have lost interest because I would feel forsaken.

It's okay to have differing opinions.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post: