View Single Post
Unread 08-21-2022, 07:54 PM   #16
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have heard mention of "short kits" for some presses (MEC I think). My Pacific 266s were never offered in anything but 2 3/4" and 3". I simply machined 1/4" off the final crimp dies and adjusted all the other stations to match, pretty simple with that old, "obsolete" system, especially if you own a lathe and mill. The 10 ga. required shortening up the crimp die 5/8" (die was originally for 3 1/2", I needed 2 7/8"), boring out the primer seating well out about .020 as that press was never offered in 10 ga and the hull rim wouldn't go down on the spring loaded seat. I have seen pics of some guys shimming up the shell holders in the required stations to allow for 2 1/2" hulls. I guess they could adjust the dies to work that way.
I don't know of any new presses specifically for 2 1/2" ammo but there may be some or as mentioned, kits available to modify the units. My experience has been very good with calling the manufacturers tech people for help and advice with reloading issues over the years. I own old Pacific units for shotshells and RCBS for all my pistol and rifle needs. Both have been very helpful with parts and advice.
Keith Doty is offline   Reply With Quote