View Single Post
Unread 11-03-2022, 02:25 PM   #9
Dean Weber
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,259 Times in 217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy G Roberts View Post
I was there opening week Dean a little West of Winner. Phez numbers were down a bit which combined with the drought conditions and some very windy weather for a couple of days made for some challenging hunts. In the end we did quite well, just had to work extra hard. We encountered way less Sharpies than previous years but the Chicken count was up, way up. I did note that we killed mostly mature birds, I never counted but I would think at least 2/3 or maybe even more were mature. I would assume that is a direct reflection of the hatch. I love the prairie and look forward to this trip every year, beautiful country. We both probably enjoyed this same sunset.
Randy,
My assessment is birds were better West of the Missouri than last year. Hard to tell on chickens since their numbers are not great overall. Pheasants were all day long but sharps and chickens were where you found them. Of course, Labs and pheasant cover is not necessarily the best combo for grassland birds. May be very different around Winner.