View Single Post
Unread 09-25-2018, 07:32 PM   #2
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,633 Times in 1,029 Posts

There really is no comparison - almost without exception, American double guns started life as basic utility grade hardware store guns, and underwent successive elaborate embellishments (e.g., more select exotic wood for stocks, intricate checkering and carving, extensive engraving commensurate with the ascending grade(s), polishing and plating of internal parts, etc.) as the price went up. In essence, they were all assembled from pre-manufactured parts much like an assembly line automobile.

To really understand the difference between these guns and the British "bests", I highly recommend watching on YouTube the British Shooting Times production of "Purdey Guns and Rifles" (or any of the similar Purdey presentations), to really understand the almost primitive nature of the approach to building a "best" gun. The presentation is about an hour long and well worth the investment in time; I find the segments on stockmaking and sidelock construction and regulation absolutely mesmerizing. I have watched it at least a dozen times and often go back to selected segments to absorb the magical way they produce their fine guns. (Holland & Holland have equally good feature films on the construction and finishing of their guns.).
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post: