View Single Post
My “New” Lifter – Possible Barrel Issues
Unread 04-22-2015, 04:56 PM   #1
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,179 Times in 633 Posts

Default My “New” Lifter – Possible Barrel Issues

I asked the forum a few months ago about a 10 gauges with 2 7/8 inch chambers. I appreciated all of the feedback I knew it wouldn’t be long before I bought one. I found a nice early $100 grade that I just had to have and it just came in mail today. So here are some pictures and I really like the gun. This is the nicest Parker I have bought to date. Gun was made in 1874, serial# 3644with 32” barrels(barrel weight is 5lbs. 4oz.) choked IM/LF. I got the Parker Research Letter and the gun was sent back in 1886 for a trigger and then again in 1891 to be restocked. I was planning on bringing it and shooting it at the Southern. However…

There were some hairline cracks (or what I think are cracks) in the barrels. The bores are clean with no pitting. I had thought I would have the barrels refinished anyway would that fix the cracks? I am planning on shooting RST loads for the time being, is there a safety concern?

Thanks in advance, I went from a being happy as could be to considering if I should return it. If is a matter of some barrel work I will keep it.

I’ll be at the Southern on Friday and Saturday and look forward to meeting/talking with members.

Jay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d1.jpg (503.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg d2.jpg (403.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg d3.jpg (446.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg d4.jpg (362.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg d5.jpg (412.4 KB, 12 views)
Jay Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay Oliver For Your Post: