View Single Post
Unread 12-20-2009, 04:27 PM   #8
Sean Harper
Forum Associate

Member Info

Greetings all!
It has been a while since my last update on this project. I think a note is in order.

At this point I am only working on woodwork. The stock is in fine shape, just a few small cracks. I will be using a high quality glue/filler for these cracks, which brand I have not decided upon. I will also be applying a wood hardener to the area when the side locks meet the wood and where the barrel mount is in contact with the stock. I will also be applying the hardener to the underside of the fore end grip, this area is a bit soft. Of late; I have been identifying all tiny cracks and splits in the fore end grip. These will be properly glued. I have all parts (except the side locks) completely scrubbed and stripped of all oils. Now they are just a pile of rusted metal bones on my dinning table. Waiting for the rust-removal liquid to arrive from Brownells.

Having gone this far, I now have only a couple pointed and refined questions.

Richard noticed quite wisely that the hammers are cocked on the locking plate as it sits on my table. I recall that I cocked the left plate as I removed it (as you need to cock the left hammer in order to unscrew the locking screw). The right hammer is cocked as well. My question is, how do I un-cock it? I've fiddled with it a bit, and can't seem to release it. I apply direct compression to the small spring at the very end of the plate (the one with the graduated lever attatched) and still the hammer doesn't seem to want to come down. Where do I go from here? Richard noted the "main spring" in his last post, is that the large spring that runs most of the length of the plate?

Thanks again everyone! I've learned so much about this gun. As always I'll keep you all informed with every step I take.

Sean

P.S. Here is a picture of the project as it now stands. I have considered posting it in the January contest forum. This is what MY Parker looks like!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG4481.JPG (126.4 KB, 49 views)
Sean Harper is offline   Reply With Quote