View Single Post
Flues 20
Unread 07-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,228 Times in 3,274 Posts

Default Flues 20

looking for opinions on the Flues model Ithacas. I have heard of frames cracking, is that an issue for any particular guage.

stopped in a gun shop about 50 miles from home today that I did not know existed

they had a small selection well used field grade doubles at what I thought were for the most part reasonable prices, there was a Trojan 12 bore 30 inch, a bolt through the stock and a chip off the toe, a slight rattle with the foreend off, but priced for the issues. A Remington 1900, a Steven 311, and Fox model B filled most the rest of the end cap.

But on the end of the line was a decent little Ithaca 20 bore 28 inch Flues model, a worn but undamaged stock, locked up tight, no wiggle, no color but great bores, a little flecking in the bluing, a 1920's serial number.

I figure RSTs would be light enough. I would need to think about adding a project, BUT - thoughts anyone?- at a comfortable bit under a grand, I was thinking it might be a rainy day gun if the frame will hold up,