View Single Post
Parker 11B Shotshells
Unread 04-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #23
Richard B. Hoover
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Parker 11B Shotshells

Jeff,

Nope, those are the wonderful brass 11B shells. They were made by UMC and stamped with a Parker Bros. headstamp. I have yet to find an 11-bore Parker chambered for these shells. I previously neasured a perfect 12-bore Parker that was chambered for 11-B shells (and in a case with them). These shells are not right for an 11-ga Parker -- they are much too small. The Parker 11-B shells are typically 2.39" long; have rim diameter of .845" and taper from .792" at head to .788" at mouth. They are even smaller than a Parker 12A brass or modern unfired 12-ga AA shell which taper from .808" head to .790" mouth.

On the other hand, the Berdan primed UMC 11-Ga goes from .820" head to .814" mouth, which is suitable for the 0.825" diameter chambers of the 11-ga Parkers. Although the Bore Size is the crucial determining feature (0.751" 9 inch from the breech) the chambers too big for a modern 12-ga shell often give a good first clue to the 11-Ga.

I urge anyone with an early Parker lifter gun to slip a modern 12-ga shell into the chamber and see if it fits correctly or just rattles around.

If the chambers are too big, you may well have an 11-ga, even though the Parker record books may indicate it to be a 12- or a 10-bore gun. Years ago, Bill Furnish and I discovered that for some reason (as yet not understood) several Parker 11-bore guns were listed as either 10-ga or 12-ga guns in the Parker stock books and thus in the Parker Story and the Serialization as well. Very strange, indeed.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appeciated.

Richard
Richard B. Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote