View Single Post
Fantastic thread fellows--
Unread 10-22-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Fantastic thread fellows--

IMO- this has been the most interesting thread, and with a series of great photos with details about something than is not 100% a Parker shotgun. I think I am on safe ground when I say that the majority of the PGCA membership loves mechanical devices of all types, their history.

Rich- you are 100% right about the square cut (or punched) holes in the treads and stress- a circle or arc distributes stress- segue to early LC Smiths for an example- first series Syracuse guns had a rectangular with 90% corners lug that mated into the receiver slot- later they radiused the front corners to relieve stress--

Old timers trick in welding up a crack or fracture-- from each end of the crack- move about 1/4" back and drill a small pilot hole through the metal- skip and back-step the weld, and weld up the holes last-plus proper pre-heat and post-weld heat wrap to slow down the air cooling--

I think we all owe these PGCA brothers a big stand up round of either: (a) applause, or better yet (2) drinks of their choice for this great thread--and it might lead into a future article for PP- Parker & Snow vises, Parker steam engines-- etc!!
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote