View Single Post
Russells and "Waffle Stomper Soles, etc.""
Unread 09-28-2009, 01:57 PM   #5
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Russells and "Waffle Stomper Soles, etc.""

[QUOTE=Jay Gardner;4640]15-years ago I bought a pair of Russell Sheep Hunters, thinking they woudl be the 4x4 of all boots. (What the hell was I thinking?) A couple of years ago I sent them back and had them resoled with Birdsuooter soles and they are much mire enjoyable. I have been planning to dress the boots but I am not sure what I want to use. Bacon grease - not going to happen as I have a hard enough time already keeping my dogs from chewing on my boots and shoes. Sno-seal is certainly an option but what else have you used?

Thanks, Jay- I think those Sheep hunter series soles were often called waffle stompers, heavy treads that would plug up with gunk and mud and clay. I have also used Mink Oil on the Birshooters- I think I once read about putting leather boots after being treated into a warm oven to "set" the Sno-Seal or Mink Oil- probably the same guy that suggested washing the many times fired AA red hulls in the Missus' Maytag to clean off the black powder crud--

As a former "grunt- 0311) the old trick of getting a new pair of leather boots wet and walking them dry to mold to your feet (heavy sox recommended) comes to mind, and my Russell's qualify- but my newer Red Wings (heavier and no moccasin toe style) require no treatment except removal of mud-

I can't recall what I spent when I ordered my Birdshooters, but it was money well spent and I even remember the name of the manager of their order dept. back then - Ralph Fabricius if memory serves. Doing business with small specialized American companies is, to me, more personal and gratifying than buying from Cabelas, Gander Mountain, Scheels or even L.L. Beanies!!
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote