View Single Post
2 7/8" 10 gauge goose loads
Unread 09-25-2009, 03:07 PM   #1
Bob Brown
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default 2 7/8" 10 gauge goose loads

I just took a break from loading some 2 7/8" 10 gauge for goose hunting this weekend and next week. Its my first time trying to load them on press and I messed up 8-9 hulls getting it set up. We'll be hunting over decoys. I went with a light load of 1 1/4 oz Tungsten Matrix over 35 grns. of SR 4756, Federal hulls, SP10 wads, and Win 209 primers. This is a load that according to Sherman Bell's data that would give 1221 FPS (I know Destry, may as well use a 12) and 5400 psi with lead. I couldn't find any TM load data except for the one 1 1/2 oz load Bell had and I didn't want to go that heavy. Has anyone tried the 1 1/4 oz lead load I mentioned? Did I go too light? Please don't suggest the various short 10 factory loads, they're not available in Canada so its handloads or nothing.
I'll be shooting a 3 frame top lever hammer gun and an early damascus British gun that weighs 7 lbs 11 oz, so I didn't want something that would kick too much. Another 3 frame 10 gauge hammer gun will likely be shooting them as well. I just stepped outside and fired one off, stiff but not excessive recoil. What do you think of my load choice? Any advice would be appreciated.
Bob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote