View Single Post
Thank you P. Dudley for your reply
Unread Yesterday, 09:38 AM   #4
Member
Rich Stearns
PGCA Member

Member Info
 
Join Date: Sep 2025
Posts: 73
Thanks: 1
Thanked 253 Times in 38 Posts

Default Thank you P. Dudley for your reply

P. Dudley: Isn't that why you love this site. So many unknown or maybe I should call them questions about the mystery of Parker guns. You certainly may be correct the stock is new, new as of 1946. But then maybe not? The question is how talented were those artisans of the past. I have been in the sailing world my entire life and what the men could do to wood on a boat is mindboggling. The Romans, Vikings and all seafaring people bent wood for boats and they did it with heat and liquid and pre-bending the tree while it was growing. I don’t know much about guns but I assume the craftsmen were just as proficient as boat builders. When your life depends on something you figure out how to make it better. In ship building if it was wrong you sank and died, you were not fast enough to get away from the enemy, a cannon ball came through your hull you were dead. So they bent Oak and in some cases (look up the VASA a Swedish ship) if you got it wrong, and they did, the king sentenced you to death. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasa_(ship). From a 2026 perspective, I have a hard time getting my head around what was done in the past. But I know the 17th century ships and older I have seen and the detailed woodwork was spectacular beyond belief, and although the stock could be new in 1946 no one knows. When some you customers were Oscar Meyer, P. K. Wrigley, W.C. Peacock and Sewell Avery and you had John Phillips Sousa play at the opening of you little gun club you can see there was a demand for perfection we don’t see today.
But isn’t it fun to think that these people might have been using Parker guns?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4913.jpg (557.2 KB, 3 views)
Rich Stearns is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rich Stearns For Your Post: