View Single Post
Stock work
Unread 03-10-2024, 08:35 PM   #29
ssgross
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Stock work

Got the shard glassed this weekend. Cut multiple grooves in the shard and the stock to give the acraglas some bite.
20240309_233324.jpg20240310_203710.jpg
There was a a long splinter on the inside starboard, just below the broken piece extending all the way to where it meets the frame. It was barely hanging on and if removed would be very unsightly. So I took two flat pieces of metal coated with release agent and clamped to set up that area. You can just see a notch on the right in the second pic where there was a bit of wood missing around the splinter.

I then went ahead and made a first pass with a cabinet scraper to remove the finish so I could see the grain pattern in order to match up my replacement piece on top.
20240310_203755.jpg20240310_203906.jpg
There are two small blowouts right next to each other on the underside...either from the same loose stock problem that blew out the top, or from bubba trying to pry off the bottom plate. They are too small to fit a replacement piece, so I might just work some acra glass into the area. I'm not trying to hide the damage...just pass the 10ft stare test. A gun is only new once.

There is also a gap under the front part of the tang, either from compression over the years, or maybe the top tang bent slightly from the force of opening with a loose stock. All of this will be corrected when I glass the recoil area of the frame. At the same time, I'll make sure some acra oozes up under the tang when everything is properly aligned.
Samuel Gross is offline   Reply With Quote